Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Weapon of Choice

I know the guy's new, but I already don't like him. He hasn't done anything to offend me personally and has said nothing bad about my family, but I disagree with his strong conservative beliefs. There will be no extension of the Catholic church, creating (or rather continuing) a vortex of denial for the issues of birth control, marriage rights (minister and homosexuals) and all that I resiliently stand with a, "why not?"

I've heard he's trying to lighten the whole staunch conservative thing, in an effort to appeal to non religiocons. How exactly would you go about doing that? Hopefully it might be allow same-sex civil unions? Again, why not? Let them have their rights. They deserve as much as you or I do. We're all humans, and are equal under the constitution. At least, it looks good on paper. I know the pope doesn't create U.S. laws, but he has a profound influence on the world. Enough so, that a little blogger like me is talking about him, and I am really no one "important".

I heard an interesting claim the past week, and it's made a lot of sense to me. And I don't just say this as a harsh critic of religion. The pope is a dictator. He is, really. One man, though elected by his best friends (what I see somewhat of as an oligarchy), who rules his own little (though very little) "nation". There is no democratic processes that go on, to my knowledge.

The faithful, then, might (metaphorically) be considered people under a dictator. But as with most dictators, I believe the citizens never really experience truth. Complete honesty and individuality. With a pope, such a powerful influence and Catholic voice he is, the faithful do not always think for themselves. But I guess that's one of the comforts of religion, or cults, or whatever conforming organization you'd like to be a part of.

Dictators always hide behind something. It's the way the oppress their people and deny the truth. It doesn't matter if their weapon is military might, religions obedience, or "democracy". The subtle ones that no one one questions are the ones that we need to keep an eye on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home