Saturday, May 21, 2005

Revenge of the Wal-Martians

Of the many things I dislike about the human race, one of them is certainly their ability to forget, or to really never take note of human tragedies. But the thing is people do not always see them as human tragedies, it's just someone else's problem.

Yeah, everything I bought at Wal-Mart today was made by adults and children in China that get paid eight cents an hour. Good thing for me they do it that way, because now everything is within my budget.

This has got to stop. If this is some sort of perfect capitalism, with it's sweatshops and rich executives, I want the world to be different. Who can stop this? I can only hope there is some president in the future who demands it's end. Maybe the U.N, if they get their stuff together and something or somebody can get people motivated.

There are special interest groups, but really, this is not enough. I'm not in favor of this, "It's not fair to take money from wealthy people, they earned it." Now I do not advocate total communism here, but all over the world the rich should have a moral obligation to give to the disadvantaged. This is why I am in support of the U.N's plan to eradicate severe poverty.

This guy says it perfectly. A good article, read it. Distribute.

I've still yet to find an answer to find out how this could've happened. The United States is supposed to be free, and the mantra stands, if one of us is not free, then none of us are. How could people of all nations and different places come together and give in to a combined corporate culture? Forty percent (facts taken from article) of all Wal-Martians can afford health care, which they only receive after two years of unemployment. As a strong health care advocate, I believe it should be a required immediately for any line of work, except for, of course, the doctors that are so skilled they can operate on themselves. How cool is that. But for the rest of us...

Unions, what I see as one of the most American of all employment opportunities, are prohibited from Wal-Mart. They are threats to the absolute power of the Empire. The damn Sith-like Empire. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this, but think tanks need to be focused, email chains started, fliers distributed, and information of all sorts passed on with the complete effort and concentration on the liberation and liberalization of Wal-Mart.

There have been victories over the corporate culture, but certainly not enough. Unions exist in order to give a collective voice of the workers. If it is not reasonable for them to be applied to all employments, then it must be obvious that with the size of Wal-Mart and the numbers of people employed, that they'd have some freedom and free speech. Not disruption, not rioting, but only would I (and hopefully all people) should try to demand rights in the places that need it through due process. Obviously, companies of the "successful" capitalist sort wouldn't like this, but it is not American to allow massive amounts of people have their rights trampled and violated!


See that exclamation mark? Yeah, I thought I'd put that in there for effect, and it looks pretty good. Flaming rhetoric is fun for everyone.

And in case you were wondering, on Thursday I was lucky enough to see Star Wars. It was spectacular to see the dark side take over and Anakin transform to become Darth Vader. The amount of symbolism in the complex plot of the series (I-VI) comes together and all the ends are tied. I won't give away too much, because it's way you might want to see it, too. See, I thought I'd be nice like that. Revenge of the Sith is fun for everyone...except maybe small children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home