Tuesday, August 31, 2004

RNC Day 1

I enjoyed John McCain's speech at the RNC. It was more moderate and less hard core conservative view. A nice change.

His introduction was done by Lindsey Graham, who I was more displeased with. He said that the Republican opposition spoke of two Americas. But as I clearly remeber at the DNC, a great man, I beleive his name was Barack Obama said, "Well, I say to them tonight, there’s not a liberal America and a conservative America—there’s the United States of America." That man, Barack Obama, can be president one day. I'd vote for him. Read/watch the rest of his speech from the DNC and you'll see why.

McCain spoke of how he had liberal and democrat friends, and he was fine with that. I'm glad he tried to bridge the gap of this already too partisan race. He said in an interview shortly after that both democrats and republicans are going to have to work together soon. Once they do this, hopefully they can make a positive change.

But McCain's speech was not approved by me completely. He got large applause and directed large boos towards Michael Moore with one line. "And certainly not a disingenuous film maker who would have us believe that Saddam's Iraq was an oasis of peace..."

I disagree. I'm not sure that Michael Moore supported Saddam Hussein, he was just against the war. How hard is that to understand? Moore doesn't support terrorism in case you were wondering.

This week, Mr. Moore is writing an editorial for USA TODAY. I read today's and it was pretty good. I recommend it. I like the idea in the article.

Oh, and a little comment on slogans. Those political ones, for both parties, tend to get pretty boring, huh? Kerry's "Hope is on the Way" made me roll my eyes a couple times. And the GOP's "A Nation of Courage" put me to sleep after seeing it the one thousandth time. But hey, that does show that both parties are dedicated. They don't flip flop in one respect.

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Anti said...

McCain was alright, but that comment on Moore diminished his stature in my estimation. McCain has the image of a guy who does the right thing before the Republican thing, but he showed he's just another counterfeit politician.
What annoys is the media drooling all over the Republican speech makers, and underservedly. I would not mind were it not for their accomodation of the Swift-boat liars.
That coupling spells danger for Kerry I think. A lot of Americans vote on the information they receive from pundits, and the pundits are not doing Kerry any favours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home